Great Yarmouth Against Public Service Cuts
This is a vital activity. A full meeting of the Tory-dominated Council will be in session and five delegates from Great Yarmouth and District Trade Union Council are being admitted to the Chamber to ask direct questions at the start of the session.
PLEASE BE THERE TO SUPPORT THEM!
1) Can the Leader of the Council explain the reasons why Great Yarmouth Borough Council is now considering merging local services with South Norfolk District Council? (Put by Alan Stewart)
2) Can the cabinet member responsible for resources confirm how much money has been spent on GYBC early staff severances over each of the last three years and the likely expenditure on early severances in 2011 arising from staff cuts? (Put by Christina Stewart)
3) Can the Cabinet member for resources explain what sustainable improvements (in the light of expected job cuts) have been made in customer service when statistics for April 2010 show the number of unanswered telephone calls for that month was 5,132; this equates to 35% of calls going unanswered, of the 65% of calls answered the average time taken to answer those calls was over 3 minutes. (Put by Lee Sutton)
4) Can the Cabinet member for responsible for the economy provide information as to the Council’s response to the proposed closure of the Coastguard office at Havenbridge House and the impact this will have on the local economy, especially as this will not be the first time central Government have pulled jobs out of Great Yarmouth e.g. HM Revenue & Customs, Ministry of Justice? (Put by Paula Waters-Bunn)
5) A Leisure Strategy for Great Yarmouth 2006-16 adopted in August 2006 whose first priority is to improve the health of local people through physical activity says “any strategy for future pool [swimming] provision should seek to ensure that about 900m2 of water space is available to the wider community, in locations that best meet their needs”. Can the Cabinet member responsible for the strategy confirm that the future of Bradwell’s Phoenix Pool is secure from closure? (Put by Kevin Reynolds)
Come along with your flags, banners and placards and
make a noise for Great Yarmouth!